It's the third day of Lobster season
2013 and I have finally had a chance to get out for some heart-pounding
fun. This morning the surf was small and high tide came at roughly
7:30AM. I headed out to my secret spot (no telling anyone James...) and
found 2 bozos out there freedivng- in MY spot! I
waited until one guy came ashore and asked him what the conditions were
like... "ok" he said but all he nabbed where shorts (lobster lingo for
no-go) so his bag was empty. Sucker...
I looked at a few other spots I usually hit and the surf was a
bit rough... so I headed back to my go-to spot. I decided the tide was
coming in and that should make for an easier entry and exit.. at least
that is the theory. I suited up, grabbed my bag-o-toys, and headed for
the water.Monday, October 7, 2013
2013-13 Lobster Seaon
Dawn Patrol, September 30,2013
The entry was textbook easy, no problem. I dropped down to
about 20 feet, it was surgy and murky with visibility being maybe 5-10
feet horizontally at best. No problem, I've been in worse and always had
a good time so what the heck, I decided to press on. Soon I was
ducking, diving, spinning having a great time looking for the infamous
Lobzilla. Within just a few minutes my heart would start racing...
I got slammed down to the bottom by a breaking wave above me
and as soon as I got oriented, what did I find but Mr. Langosta! And he
was a keeper... I was off to a good start. After paddling around for
about 45 minutes or so I came across the LARGEST lobster I have caught
to date. Just sitting there, on a ledge waiting to be challenged. He
looked at me, I looked at him, and the fight started (cue up some real
cheesy 70's Starsky and Hutch chase scene music here). I grabbed a hold
of him, he whip slapped my hand with his tail full of barbs, and I held
on. I kid you not, this monster took me for a ride, even punching my
face with his antenna when I tried the measure him!
After I bagged this MMA fighter of the deep, I yelled so loud
underwater I'll bet the Humpbacks in Hawaii heard me. Next up, just a
few minutes later, I came across another massive specimen. I grabbed
hold and thought, you have to be kidding me, right? This was the most
productive dive I was having in a long time with some of the worst
conditions that I've been in. This is where complacency decided to pay a
visit and remind me to stay focused at all costs- lest they be mine.
So, I have hold of Lobzilla's younger brother and start to
manipulate the catch bag so the Lobzilla won't swim out once I open it. A
sealion decides I was messing with his secret spot and decides to let
me know this is "no-bueno" and proceeds to bite and yank on one of my
fins! I was getting pounded, tossed around, harassed by some jealous sea
creature, and for a nano-second I loose grip of my newly found
acquisition and it swims away. I was so pissed I yelled again, making a
few swear-words up as well. The sealion decided he/she (whatever) had
enough fun with me a swims away blowing bubbles in mockery of my epic
fail! Thankfully, I hadn't opened the bag so Lobzilla would be riding
shotgun on the way back to the stockpot on the grill later that morning.
Tucker loves seafood (really anything that stinks) so I've attached a
picture of him deciding who will be in charge in the backyard today
until I fire the grill up tonight.
It was great morning, watched the sunrise and fog lift, got to
dive, bagged 2 lobster for dinner tonight, and was reminded by Mr.
Murphy that I am only number 2 (and all that that implies) in the ocean
and to stay focused at all times when diving.
Until next time, you know we will eating gooooood tonight...

