I went in at a different spot than I have been hitting lately and it wasn't as good as some of the spots I have been diving this year. I found a bunch of lobster but all were short of the legal limit (3 1/4 inches across the carapace). A few however where mere 1/8 inch or less short of the legal size so they had to go back. However, I did find 3 large scallops, there was some success on this dive. As I got close the end of my dive I started seeing lights, BRIGHT lights all around me. Remember, I was the ONLY one in the water that night (so I thought), it was pitch black both in the water and out of the water...
I looked around and saw these lights flashing all around... was I hallucinating? As it turns out, there were 2 bozo guys free diving above me shining lights all over the place and grabbing whatever they saw... this was one time I wished the Fish & Game Warden had been there. These guys didn't care what size they grabbed and by the time I got out of the water, they sped off in a crappy white van with stickers all over it... I dislike poachers...
Details of the dive:
Time in the water; Sunset
Max Depth: 22 feet
Average depth: 10 feet
Water Temp: 59F
Dive time: 82 minutes
Air dive
SS Backplate with 10lbs of weight, 7MM wetsuit (at the end of the dive it was cold...) HP 80 tank with Poseidon Reg.
| With a sunset like this, why be anywhere else? |
| Hand-sized scallops |
| The internals |
| The sweet muscle meat |
| For comparison on my fins (hint, my fins aren't small) |