Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Calm Before the Storm

Fall has arrived and a storm is brewing so time to get a dive in before the ocean gets angry. Air temperatures have dipped and the water has dropped to the low 60's. I woke up around 4AM once again this morning to get in roughly 2 hours before sunrise in the hopes to nab another lobster, or two.

The water was clam, low tide, and cold. I dropped down and stared the hunt. For the first 30 mins, not 1 lobster, not even a short! I swam to an area that I haven't spent much time in and noticed little beady eyes in the cracks and holes...

I soon found many more than legal sized langosta but they were craftier than me and manged to elude my slow hands... then I got lucky and one backed into a crack that allowed me to grab it's horns. Bingo, just larger than legal size and inside my catch bag it went. I finished the dive with a few more missed opportunities but all in all it was nice to get in, swim around with good visibility, and come home with a lobster. Tucker was excited as well...

Dive Time: 89 mins
Max Depth: 15 feet
Average Depth: 8 feet
Water Temp: 63F